Maintaining friendships can be difficult but even more so when they’re long distance. I have many friends who live away from me. Whether it’s across the country in Scotland, or across the world in Canada. During the last 3 years I’ve made so many friendships with people who I don’t see on a regular basis but that doesn’t mean they’re any less a friend to me than the ones I see on a weekly basis. I appreciate all my friendships but the long distance ones are the ones that you should be most grateful for. Why you may as. Well, here at 10 reasons why we should all have a long distance friendship.
1. They make so much effort to keep the friendship going. I have a friend who lives in Canada and that 5 hour time difference is often difficult. So even just staying awake a little longer to make sure I speak to her is so meaningful.
2. They’re easier than people think. A simply message or a phone call once a week can really make someone’s day. You don’t have to spew to them every day, just now and again to let them know you’re still alive and well.
3. You get to travel! Who doesn’t love a reason to visit a new country, city or town? I know I do. I love that I have reasons to visit my friends all over the world! I have a friend who has just invited me to visit her in Dubai whilst she works. It’s an amazing opportunity and one that I’ll most definitely take her up on.
4. They’ll listen to you rant about the people who annoy you and they’re always on your side. Admittedly, they’re often biased as they sometimes don’t know who you’re talking about, but they’re on your side and that’s the most important thing!
5. You always have something to look forward too. You may not see them right away but this way, you know you will eventually.
6. You don’t fight! You don’t spend enough time together to annoy each other or find flaws. They’re perfect forever.
7. Whenever you think of them you’re always reminded of certain events and memories. It’s lovely to look back on old times.
8. You’re both so comfortable with the fact that you each have other friends. You’re guilt free when it comes to hanging out with other people and they understand.
9. Long distance means long term. If you can survive a year without seeing them and meet up like everything is normal and you saw them the day before. They’re a friend for life.
10. The bond between you both is often stronger than a friend you’ve known your whole life.
I have so much love and time for all my friends but the ones I have around the world, well they’re some of my most treasured friendships. Ones that I know I’ll have forever.
However, this is especially dedicated to my friend Jessica Wallace. The girl that moved into my student house unexpectedly and became one of my very best friends who I love so dearly. I miss you, my little maple syrup!
With love, Beth x