I’m heading into my 4th year of student life and through that time I’ve managed to learn a lot, both academically and personally. To be totally honest with you, university is a massive learning experience through which you will learn so much about who you are, who you want to be and what you want in your life.
As much as I loved uni life now I’m going to a different university I realised I learned so much from my experience that helped me realise what I need in my life. With that I would share some of the things that I learned during my university experience and things that my benefit you.
1. Make more friends than just your flatmates. Whether you join a sport or society or even mingle with your course mates, these are ways for you to maintain solid friendships with your flatmates and also not feel too suffocated when you spend all your time with the same people.
2. With that in mind, keep your closest friends small. Having lots of friends is fantastic but you can’t please all these people all the time. If your circle is too big you’ll find that everybody knows your business and life becomes challenging.
3. I motto is, don’t shit where you eat. In other words, don’t sleep with your flatmates or get into a relationship ship with them. It makes things incredibly awkward for everybody if things go bad and you have to spend the whole year in an uncomfortable silence whenever he enters the room.
4. Along with that, don’t get into a relationship or sleep with someone in your friendship group. Through my own experience I’ve reaised that eventually one of you will be pushed out and forgotten, some may say replaced when either of you get into a new relationship. It’s tough for everybody and especially if you were originally the outsider it’s even more tough when you have to leave a group of friends that you enjoy.
5. Joining a sport or society will help you make more friends but also help you see what you like and dislike. So you tried archery but it wasn’t your thing but along with that, you went for a Social with tennis and they’re the greatest people ever and you love it. You probably found. new love for a sport you never knew you liked and it’s given you a chance to do something different.
6. Don’t be a hoarder because at the end of the year when you’re packing your things up you’re going to have so much stuff that you don’t know what to do with it all. So a few times during the year have a good clear out of things that you aren’t using, wearing or needing. This was it’ll be easier for you to pack up at the end of the year.
7. Your studies are so important. If you have an essay due but your friends are having a big night out, choose to do the essay and get it done without any fuss. Yes it’s crappy that you’re missing a night out you’re missing out on the drama but you’re likely to get a better grade, no hangover and you’re saving money.
If you have any of your own tips for the newest freshers comment below!